Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

St. Luke's, have mercy on me

Actually, nakapasa na ko sa St. Luke's Global City. Medical exam na lang kulang. Kaso, 2nd prio lang. Why? Gues what, it's because of pharma again! My final interview went like, "Ms. Estabillo, you have a patient with seizure disorder. Could you name some drugs that would be given to her?" My mind went "tic-toc-tic-toc.." as I, my 2 other co-applicants, and the 2 interviewers stared at each other as I groped around the nooks and crannies of by brain for the right answer. Attempting to squeeze out just one of the hundred possible answers, I uttered not one but two stupid answers. Don't ask about my answer. I was so ashamed of myself. After that, I reached the verdict. I already knew my fate. There's none in that hospital. After counting a couple of days, HR lady texted me saying I should call her. So I did call her and knew that I was 2nd priority because I need to brush up on pharma and etc. At least, it's not about losing weight or fixing acne problem (like all those stories I've read in some forums). Gusto kase nilang i-hire mga Stepford-wives perfect na mga nilalang na nurses tapos papa-swelduhin lang ng minimum wage (na ang take home pay ay halos katumbas na lang ng 7pcs na white therapeutic-type stockings!). Sour graping here and just being realistic, ganyan talaga ang financial condition ng salary ng nurses sa kanila.

Adding insult to injury, I was also called for an exam at St. Luke's QC main a couple of months ago. Mas mahirap ang exam nila dahil 2nd round pa lang I got eliminated na. The initial exam was all about IQ. Time pressure ang hihigop sa applicant pababa. I got through the IQ test. Sisiw lang ang vocabulary, synonyms, with a sprinkle of some math series (poor me here!). So Exam #2, we have 70 items to answer in 15 minutes. Matching type it is, pero there are no letters. We have to write the medical terms, some are as short as an acronym like PRN, but a lot of it were as kilometric-long as PERCUTANEOUS ENDOSCOPIC GASTROSTOMY, FOUR-POINT GAIT WALK, and ACTIVE ROM EXCERCISE, to name a few. Gadddd! Weakness ko kaya ang mabilisang pagsulat. Surprisingly, may naka-perfect, not one but two, and they're seatmates pa. Doubt filled the air as we looked at those two "perfect" earthlings. The HR Manager said, "I hope you did not copy from each other." Aamin ba naman sila??? So, the usual eksena na if your name is called, that means you failed the exam and you say ba-bye to your newly found co-app friends and pack up and go to the restroom and change footwear--from pumps to flip-flops--then text your loved ones to seek comfort and sympathy. It was a sad realization for me na hindi para sa 'kin ang San Lucas. Only Bro knows the reason behind my failures. Maybe He's leading me to something better, a hospital with a high-moral employees probably. I think I'm on my way to that hospital on Monday :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, can you please help. SLMC-GC just texted me this afternoon and they're asking to come for an initial screening for PGNT. I read from previous comments that there will be an IQ test and interview. As this is my first job application/interview ever in my life, i would like to know what to expect. Are these all the things that they will let us do for the initial screening? Is there a nursing exam that we need to pass during the initial screening? what do they ask you in the interview,is it more about current events, family, yourself or more on the nursing stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Fia! I hope all's well with you. Sorry for the super duper late reply. Got caught up with my new role as a wife/mom now.

    ReplyDelete